October is National Window Covering Safety Month
In partnership with the Window Covering Safety Council (WCSC), we want to remind you that kids and cords don’t mix. Window cord safety is very important. Along with the WCSC, we strongly recommend that you use only cordless window coverings in homes with young children.
The Safest Solution for Children and Pets
Safety is just as important as style when it comes to window treatments. Toronto homes with children and pets should take proper safety measures to prevent potentially serious window cord accidents. To help secure your home, the products offered at Luxury Window Coverings have many additional features to help ensure that safety goes hand in hand with comfort.
- Cordless lift and motorized lift options that offer ultimate safety‒eliminating the standard cord that could strangle children or pets
- Tension pulleys and tie-down devices to keep continuous-loop pull cords taut
- Cord stops on horizontal blinds that prevent internal cords from slipping through the louvers
For additional information on child-safe window treatments, please review the guidelines below or talk with an expert at Luxury Window Coverings.
Window Cord Safety Guidelines
The Window Covering Safety Council urges parents and caregivers to check all windows for potential cord hazards and use the following guidelines to ensure your home is safe:
- Install only cordless window coverings in bedrooms and sleeping areas for young children
- Move all cribs, beds, furniture, and toys away from windows and cords, preferably to another wall
- Ensure tasseled pull cords are short and continuous-loop cords are permanently anchored to the floor or wall. Keep cords out of reach of young children by installing and using cord cleats
- Cord stops must be properly installed and adjusted to limit the movement of inner lift cords
- Lock cords into position whenever horizontal blinds or shades are lowered, including when they come to rest on a window sill
- Replace blinds, shades, and drapes manufactured before 2001 with products that meet updated safety standards
- If replacement is not possible, repair window blinds, corded shades, and draperies manufactured before 2001 with retrofit cord kits, available by emailing windowcoverings.org or calling 1-800-506-4636
You can easily identify cordless window covering options by looking for the Best for Kids™ certification label. In order to be eligible for this certification, we must submit our products to a recognized third-party test laboratory for review and analysis to determine if they meet the Best for Kids criteria. For products that meet the criteria, the lab sends a report saying that they may be labeled Best for Kids.